Thursday, June 19, 2008

Small Town Missouri fair

I took this video on the Sunday morning at the fair. The town square was basically turned into a church variety show, with real cheesy Jesus music and reverends talking about the churches and sin. This was a play about Jesus versus suicide. Quite frankly it scared the crap out of me.






I worked this fair with Anthony and Zach, two old friends from the first theme park I drew at Six flags St.Louis.

This year I've begun to take on the challenge of new mediums in the chair. For 10 years I've drawn live caricatures almost exclusively in graphite and airbrush, so I thought it was time to lean a more portable method, marker and color stix. It's gotten me out of my comfort zone and makes me think more about execution . I've got a long way to go before I'm happy with my abilities with this medium, but i thought I'd share a few from this particular weekend anyway. I know there's a lot of dude's out there that really know how to use this stuff, please give me some tips and comment's. These drawings both took about 10 to 15 minutes

Photobucket

Photobucket

11 comments:

Emily said...

Yay Jert, they look good, especially the nose and eye sockets on the first guy. Do you have the set of 48? There are some colors in there I use infrequently but are just perfect for certain situations...
Video freaked me out too.Yikes.

Mike Briggs said...

Hey Jert!
how are things going? your work is looking great! It looks like you will be mastering the colorsticks soon. what kind of marker are you using? Hope all is well.
Briggs

Marlo said...

jert + jesus = hardcore sex

Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

emily-
I bought a set a long tome ago and now I just buy what i use the most. I'm still in a very experimental phase with my layering.
and I agree,
scary video.

Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

Captain Briggs-
it's good to see you alive, brother. I'm using a Dixon markette.
congrats on the celtics

Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

marlo-
I couldn't have said it better.
I am the reason the girl is killing herself.

Paul Moyse said...

I definitely prefered the Larper's video. Cool drawings again Jert.

Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

thanks moyse. the jesus play caught me off guard. I was set up drawing at a summer festival/ carnival and I was waiting for the morning service/ christian music concert to be over so i could start drawing and make some money. I got up to get some lunch and when i came back, these kids were up on stage performing this bizzar play. The larpers are funnier. The fervor of the southern baptists in the play are more frightening, to me at least.

Joe Bluhm said...

You've got some major "marker skills".

Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

joe-
thanks yo

Adam Temple said...

I've been pretty scared ever since I saw Jesus Camp...