Monday, February 07, 2011

Albert Pujols


For those of you that don't know, I am a born and bred St.Louis Cardinals fan. My grandfather watched Stan Musial, my mother watched Lou Brock , I watched Ozzie Smith and my nephew has the privilege of watching Albert Pujols.
As a fan I want to watch him get his 3,000th hit as a Cardinal. I want to see him hit his 600th home run as a Cardinal. I want to see him get 5 more MVP awards as a Cardinal. If the Cardinals drop the ball on this contract extension I probably won't be paying attention to baseball for a while after the 2011 season. It'll kill me to see Albert accomplish these feats with another team.
A lot of folks in the blue collar town of St. Louis don't believe ANY athlete deserves 20 million dollars a year for playing a child's game. I can definitely see where that point of view comes from, after all, St. Louis has been hit hard with the recession. Unemployment is really high in Missouri right now. I can see a discussion like this rubbing an out-of-work construction worker the wrong way, especially in this shitty winter of 2011. Hopefully the Cards can come up with a competitive offer and keep him a Cardinal for life.

No comments: